Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 22, 2018

Fringeville #194: Happy Thanksgiving, 2018



It’s been the kind of year when it has been far too easy for me to think about all the people and bits of my life that are no longer here and to be distracted by the often-unpleasant aspects of getting a wee bit older.

I find myself thinking more and more of moments from my life that make sense only now. Some of these bring comfort. Some don’t.

I understand better now decisions, good and bad, that I made long ago. While I am not comfortable with some of them, I’ve made my peace with them. One can’t live in the past when facing the mystery of each day that lies ahead.

I have learned when one must lie. Yes, there is a time, but that is for each of us alone to know, and that type of lie must be coupled with mercy and compassion.

I have learned when to be unvarnished when speaking the truth, even if it risks everything.

I have learned to say no. That’s a big one. When I was younger, I assumed I could tackle anything. Now I know what I can and can’t do. I know where I am strong and where I am weak, what I do well and what I best not even tackle.

Today, be thankful for the blessings you have. Steel yourselves for the challenges you will surely face and celebrate the wispy bits of joy that find their way into your life. Treat each day as a blessing, do your best with it, then close the door on it firmly and prepare for the next.

And one more thing, perhaps the most important…

* * *
…Be good to each other.

* * *

No comments:

Post a Comment

My motto is be good to each other. In that spirit, keep it clean on the comments. Personal attacks, nasty language, and any disdain of chicken wings will not be tolerated.