Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 13, 2018

Fringeville #184: …Randomness and a Double-Shot

This post has nothing whatsoever to do with sex, but I likely have your full attention.



The randomness continues…

***

I am watching this latest hurricane, Florence, with apprehension. I have a brother in North Carolina. At one point he was right in the center of the ‘cone’ that shows the probable track of Florence. He is well inland, but that wouldn’t spare him from the rain of a slow-moving, massive storm. I talked to him a few days ago, and his concern at the time was tornadoes. The storm has shifted, and he is now on the northern edge of the cone, but it’s not going to be any fun.


Am I wrong to tire of what I think is the over-hyping of these storms? I am not minimizing the danger monster storms pose. This one may in fact be one of the biggest ever, and people should damned sure pay attention, but increasingly these things are media events and in the aftermath, inevitably, political stages.


Hurricanes both destroy and create. Ocean City, Maryland was once a much quieter place. Before 1870, it was called “The Ladies Resort to the Ocean.” In 1875 its first major hotel opened, but there was nothing at the time to suggest it would become the massive resort town and vacation haven it is today.


This changed in 1933, when a hurricane created an inlet that the Army Corps of Engineers made permanent. The boom began then, as Ocean City spawned a major fishing port. Some of this I gleaned from spending a lot of time down there, and some from the city’s Chamber of Commerce page.


Nature waved her hand, and Ocean City as we know it was born. One day her hand may wave again, and take it all away.


As to Florence, this is a very dangerous storm. If you are in it’s path, move. It also shares its name with my late Aunt Florence, who I loved dearly but was absolutely not a woman to piss off.


***





I don’t know about you, but I need a double-shot. And once again, I am going to the bench: the growing field of amazing women who rock my iPhone. These are a couple of tunes I love. Enjoy them!

First, up Heart:






Next, Joan Osborne:




***





***

No comments:

Post a Comment

My motto is be good to each other. In that spirit, keep it clean on the comments. Personal attacks, nasty language, and any disdain of chicken wings will not be tolerated.