Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 16, 2017

Fringeville #174: More Rambling Tidbits

More blabbering about nuttin...


The lazyass dog behaves differently around me than he does the womenfolk of the house.

When I come in from anywhere (work, the mailbox, a grocery run) he does the following: runs to me, sniffs my breath when I bend over to greet him, then paces by the door. Here is the translation from dog to English:

“You’re home. Let me see if you’ve been eating something and holding out on me (*sniff, sniff, sniff*). Glad you’re here. Now take me out to pee and poop.”

He might have eaten thirty seconds before I got home, or watered the landscape and left a monument for the flies, but that’s how I’m greeted whenever I walk through the door.

In the morning, when the womenfolk feed him, he just gobbles it down.

If I feed him breakfast, he won’t eat unless I stand by the oven and drink my coffee while he loads the poop engine for when I get home.

I guess this is dog love. I guess. Or he’s just screwing with me. Yeah, that’s it. It’s a Pavlov thing in reverse and he never tires of it.

* * *
About this time a year ago I gave my notice at Lackawanna County, where I rode off into the sunset on my own volition as the best intentioned but most inept assistant ever to serve a County Commissioner.

Why did I leave? Because, for one thing, it’s at least as important to know what you don’t do well as what you do very well. Financially, a stupid thing to do. Yet overall the soundest decision I’ve made in a long, long, time. Zero regrets.

* * *
I am ending the year with no political party attached to my name. Zero regrets over that, too.

* * *
Winter is here. I have stories to write. I've a bottle of toasted caramel whiskey as my muse, and I know how to use it. In moderation, of course, because I need to be able to find the keyboard.

Whiskey may clash ever so slightly with my boob-making-anti-cancer med, but frankly, Dr. Scarlett, I don’t give a damn.

* * *
There are still things broken in my life I cannot fix. Somehow this weekend, I will find the will and joy within me to ring in Christmas. Because I’ve done zip, zero, nada so far

* * *
Be good to each other. 

* * *

No comments:

Post a Comment

My motto is be good to each other. In that spirit, keep it clean on the comments. Personal attacks, nasty language, and any disdain of chicken wings will not be tolerated.